I’m a Berlin-based Creative Strategist with twelve years of experience working in communications, brand planning and creative development.
I focus on building communities around arts and creative culture: stewarding a platform to support musicians at Red Bull Music Academy, shaping a music-led youth brand to reframe social challenges with the Nike Foundation, or exploring new possibilities for participative performance and interaction, as with my own spatial sound project, 4DSOUND.
My experience spans creative and strategic conceptualisation, artistic curation and development, directing insight and qualitative research, facilitating creative development and implementation, day-to-day project management and exploring new business and partnership opportunities.
CREATIVE STRATEGY CONSULTANT, BERLIN & AMSTERDAM, MAY 2011- ONGOING
Over the last seven years, I have worked across a range of projects with different agencies and clients based in Berlin, Amsterdam, London, Tokyo and Addis Ababa. Highlights include:
- Developing Global Connections Strategy for Coke’s Tokyo Olympics 2020 campaign with Anomaly Amsterdam. Cross-agency development, client workshopping, market toolkit finalisation. (2018)
- Directing the Germany sustainability strategy for a global FMCG brand with Berlin-based independent agency LURE Media. Concept, strategy, creative overview, client presentation. (2018)
- Creating the Social Communications Strategy for a German financial brand with RGA Berlin (2018)
- Working with Anomaly Amsterdam in 2017 directing a complete strategic overhaul of T Mobile’s music platform Electronic Beats, covering brand positioning, editorial focus, partnership thinking and content strategy.
- Eight months as freelance Strategy Director at 72andSunny in 2016, also in Amsterdam. My focus was on the global launch of Smirnoff’s We Are Open campaign, celebrating the brand’s new inclusive positioning with two powerful films encouraging ‘socialising across divides’. I worked from initial brief development through creative development to global comms strategy and client toolkit creation.
- 15 months as freelance Project Director at Red Bull Music Academy (January 2013- May 2014), the youth brand’s most successful global ‘Culture’ project. The role saw me co-ordinate the RBMA team on creation of all external communications, including co-direction of films such as this piece from the brand’s festival in Tokyo, which I also project managed. I developed the communications strategy for 2013/14, and consulted Red Bull country teams on brand presentation (positioning, communications, PR and design development and project activation strategy).
- Six months in Ethiopia developing communications strategy for the Nike Foundation and UK DFiD partnership Girl Hub. I outlined the 2013 launch strategy for the NGO’s music-led educational drama Yegna, returning again in late 2014 to develop the brand’s ongoing direction and to implement the launch of the drama’s movie launch in May 2015. The role involved: field research and insight work, analysis of media landscape and partner opportunities and outlining next steps for brand direction, product mix and content strategy.
- Trend and Insight report writing on brands, society and technology for the likes of Mother London, Canvas8, M&C Saatchi World Services and others. Topics include: sub-cultural movements in Asian markets, the changing civic role of brands in society, opportunities emerging from immersive technologies, and youth culture trends in muslim-majority countries.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR & PARTNER, 4DSOUND, BERLIN & BUDAPEST, JUNE 2014- ONGOING
4DSOUND is a technology platform and artistic collective exploring spatial sound as a medium. We run a dedicated research facility in Budapest and with partners at a new performance space, MONOM, based in the Funkhaus complex in Berlin. I joined the team in 2014 as Artistic Director and developed the 2015-18 brand direction outlined in this summary of our philosophy. Working with the founder I concepted, curated, produced and directed all communications for several large-scale showcases including our showcase at TedxDanubia, Circadian, a 24-hour programme working with bio-feedback and meditation, premiered at TodaysArt festival in The Hague and Techno Is Space, an evolved club experience through spatial sound design integrating wearable haptics at our studio in Amsterdam. I direct the visual design and content strategy including our website (new website build in progress, to launch in September 2018). We have been commissioned to develop immersive sound experiences by brands such as Chanel and Red Bull. The project has gained film and editorial features in i-D Mag, VICE, Red Bull Music Academy, Creator’s Project, Fast Company and many others.
COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANT, LONDON & EXTENDED PERSONAL TRAVEL (INDIA AND NEPAL), SEP 2010- MAY 2011
SENIOR STRATEGIST, NAKED PLANET @ NAKED COMMUNICATIONS LONDON-,SEP 2009- SEP 2010
My main focus at Naked was on Nokia, with whom we co-developed their digital sustainability offering. Working with the Strategy Director, my role covered: strategy development, advising on community engagement and co-ordinating the content for and implementation of their sustainability aggregator, an online hub for sustainability news and resources.
ACCOUNT PLANNER, BBH TOKYO & BBH LONDON SEP 2006- AUG 2009
I started my career as a planner at Bartle Bogle Hegarty’s Tokyo office, where I worked on global brands such as Smirnoff Ice, Mentos and the launch of Axe (Lynx) Japan, winning a Gold Effies Asia award for our campaign paper. I then moved to the London office where I spent a year co-developing the European brand positioning for Leviʼs.
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in English Studies at University of Stirling (Creative Writing and Critical Analysis).
OTHER INTERESTING STUFF
- I love exploring new places and have travelled extensively, living in 7 capital cities on 3 continents.
- I get a lot of inspiration from research and learning about the mind, brain and senses. I read extensively on neuroscience.
- I developed a large scale overnight audiovisual meditation exploring collective dreamstate with 4DSOUND, presented at TodaysArt festival, CTM Berlin and others.
- I'm an executive member of the board of the Spatial Sound Institute, reviewing applications for artist residencies and deciding on thematic focus for the annual program.
- I speak very good, (if slightly rusty!) Japanese and basic German.