I’m a Berlin-based Creative Strategist with twelve years of experience working in communications, brand planning and creative development.
I focus on building communities around arts and creative culture, on platforms like Red Bull Music Academy, Jagermeister and T Mobile’s Electronic Beats; shaping music-led youth brands to reframe social challenges like with the Nike Foundation; or exploring new possibilities for participative performance and interaction, as with Dutch sound technology startup 4DSOUND.
My experience spans creative and strategic conceptualisation, artistic curation and development, directing insight and qualitative research, facilitating creative development and implementation, day-to-day project management and exploring new business and partnership opportunities.
CREATIVE STRATEGY CONSULTANT, BERLIN & AMSTERDAM, MAY 2011- ONGOING
Over the last eight years, I have worked across a range of projects with different agencies and clients based in Berlin, Amsterdam, London and Tokyo. Highlights include:
- Outlining Messaging Strategy for Jagermeister’s new nightlife platform, the Night Embassy Berlin, with Amsterdam-based agency Protein. (2019)
- Developing Global Connections Strategy for Coke’s Tokyo Olympics 2020 campaign with Anomaly Amsterdam. Cross-agency development, client workshopping, market toolkit finalisation. (2018)
- Directing the Germany Sustainability Strategy for a global FMCG brand with Berlin-based independent agency LURE Media. Concept, strategy, creative overview, client presentation. (2018)
- Working with Anomaly Amsterdam to direct a complete strategic overhaul of T Mobile’s music platform Electronic Beats, covering brand positioning, editorial focus, partnership thinking and content strategy. (2017)
- Eight months as freelance Strategy Director at 72andSunny Amsterdam on Smirnoff’s We Are Open campaign. I worked from initial brief development through creative development to global comms strategy and client toolkit creation. (2016)
- 15 months as freelance Project Director at Red Bull Music Academy, the youth brand’s most successful global ‘Culture’ project. Role included: development of Communications Strategy 2013-14 and co-ordinating the local Red Bull teams on creation of all external communications (positioning, communications, PR and design development, project activation strategy). (January 2013- May 2014)
- Six months in Ethiopia developing communications strategy and directing brand development for the Nike Foundation and UK DFiD partnership Girl Hub. Role involved: field research and insight work, analysis of media landscape and partner opportunities, brand direction, product mix and content strategy. (2013-14)
- Trend and Insight report writing on brands, society and technology for the likes of Mother London, Canvas8, M&C Saatchi World Services and others. Topics include: sub-cultural movements in Asian markets, the changing civic role of brands in society, opportunities emerging from immersive technologies, and youth culture trends in muslim-majority countries. (Ongoing)
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR, 4DSOUND, BERLIN & BUDAPEST, JUNE 2014- DECEMBER 2017 (ONGOING PARTNER)
4DSOUND is a technology platform and artistic collective exploring spatial sound as a medium. It runs a dedicated research facility in Budapest and a partnership with performance venue MONOM, in Berlin. I joined the team in 2014 as Artistic Director and developed the 2015-18 brand direction outlined in this summary of our philosophy. Working with the founder I concepted, curated, produced and directed all communications for several large-scale showcases such as Circadian, a 24-hour programme working with bio-feedback and meditation, premiered at TodaysArt festival in The Hague. I also directed the visual design and content strategy including the 4DSOUND and Spatial Sound Institute websites. The project has gained film and editorial features in i-D Mag, VICE, Red Bull Music Academy, Creator’s Project, Fast Company and many others.
COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANT, LONDON & EXTENDED PERSONAL TRAVEL (INDIA AND NEPAL), SEP 2010- MAY 2011
SENIOR STRATEGIST, NAKED PLANET @ NAKED COMMUNICATIONS LONDON-,SEP 2009- SEP 2010
My main focus at Naked was on Nokia, with whom we co-developed their digital sustainability offering. Working with the Strategy Director, my role covered: strategy development, advising on community engagement and co-ordinating the content for and implementation of their sustainability aggregator, an online hub for sustainability news and resources.
ACCOUNT PLANNER, BBH TOKYO & BBH LONDON SEP 2006- AUG 2009
I started my career as a planner at Bartle Bogle Hegarty’s Tokyo office, where I worked on global brands such as Smirnoff Ice, Mentos and the launch of Axe (Lynx) Japan, winning a Gold Effies Asia award for our campaign paper. I then moved to the London office where I spent a year co-developing the European brand positioning for Leviʼs.
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in English Studies at University of Stirling (Creative Writing and Critical Analysis).
OTHER INTERESTING STUFF
- I'm a composer working with sound as a meditative medium. I perform at experimental music festivals such as CTM Berlin, TodaysArt and Mira Festival. An interview on my recent project Interiority is here.
- I research and write on the topics of sound, listening and social theory, submitting essays and hosting workshops at Goldsmiths University London, TedXDanubia and others. An example of this on the Native Instruments website here. I’m also a member of the board of the Spatial Sound Institute, reviewing applications for artist residencies and deciding on thematic focus for the annual program.
- I speak basic German and proficient Japanese.